Impact of SSL Certificate on Digital Marketing includes SEO, Google AdWords & Social Media
- Introduction to SSL Certificate
Secure Socket Layer abbreviated as SSL is a security technology to create encrypted link between web browser and server. This facilitates an assurance about the security and privacy of the sensitive information that is passed amongst browser and server.
SSL certificate is extremely useful considering its major functionality of protecting data and information as no computer between server and our browser, shall be reading the information sent. As it encrypts the data, it is protected from hackers.
- Significance of SSL Certificate
If SSL Certificate is not linked, then a secure connection won’t be established which indicates that any information inserted will not be connected digitally to cryptographic key.
The certificate has major impact due to various core reasons.
- SSL or TLS handshake is a negotiation amongst two parties consisting details for further process.
- Once we visit SSL enabled website, our device immediately is connected with web server to authenticate SSL certificate for verification.
- The preliminary established connection with server is called handshake.
- Private Key and public key are used to encrypt and decrypt the data.
- Once, it’s done, public key is used to connect with encrypted data, if the server’s certificate is valid.
- The data is then decrypted by server using private key and is accessible by the specific server itself.
- Impact – SEO & Google AdWords
It has been noted that 68% of the internet users believes that website protection laws prevailing currently are not up-to the mark or good enough. As the cybercrime ratio increased and growth in hacking activities, it has now become important get protection in place.
In 2014 world’s largest search engine announced an extra layer of security by implementing HTTPS for your website ranking.
- It’s interesting to know that only 1.9% of 1 million website are using HTTPS or SSL version by default.
- Less than .1% of the website are secure.
In 2015, Google announced that it will favour HTTPS websites over non- secured websites.
Earlier, SSL certificate was needed, just to collect private and sensitive data like payment transaction in ecommerce website.
Google announced that from October 2017, site security would be another important factor for ranking and SEO. It released version 56 which has tagged HTTP site as non-secure site.
If all other factors are in line, then converting HTTP into HTTPS will be a tie- breaker.
Due to its installation, visitors on website understands that the website is verified and secured. The future is always going to be security oriented.
- SSL Certificate enabled website will help in boosting ranking.
- Due to warning sign for non- secured website, visitors may leave the website.
- This gives a business opportunity to the competitors who have secured website.
- In order to be in competition simultaneously with your competitors, it’s vital to have a secured connections and convert your website to HTTPS.
- Referral data is preserved when visitors are passing through the HTTPS website.
- It is a good SEO practice to be implemented for better ranking.
- Better ranking will lead to more traffic and as the website will have secured version, there would better click through ratio.
Google has started to enforce security certificate. It removes product listing and shopping feeds for website without SSL certificate within checking pages.
- Brief of Google policy
- Check out and payment transaction shall be done over secure website enabled with valid SSL certificate.
- Advertisers shall have compliance with regulations and local laws on data protection. Google may suspend product listing or account violating rules.
If product promotion using Google shopping, doesn’t have the security certificate for shopping cart then, you may be considered as violating regulations.
- Check List for SSL Certificate
- Know dependency of SSL certificate, on security level of authority.
- Know certificate validity, server platform, single domain hosted by servers.
- Know the organisation information hosted by number of servers.
- Important to find right authority that provides SSL certificate.
- Expiry date checking is must.
- Important to understand and analyse that complete technical support will be provided certificate.
- Types of certificate
Single name SSL Certificate
Through this only single domain name and not the sub-domain.
Wildcard SSL Certificate.
Protects sub-domain along with single domain.
Unified SSL Certificate
Protects 100 domains with single certificate.
Multi-domain SSL Certificate
It secures multiple and different domain name with one certificate.
It is now highly recommended and mandatory to make SSL certificate enabled website for SEO & Google AdWords, to gain your potential customers and visitors trust.
This article is written by Jigney Bhachech– CEO of Opal Infotech.