What is Search Engine Optimization or (SEO)?
Search engine optimization is designing, developing, and optimizing a website to improve its rank in search engines. A good optimized website can be easily found by the search engines. Typically, the internet users click through websites that come in top results of search engines. There is less possibilities for your website to be visited if it is in ranked low by web crawlers. The search engine optimization not only predominantly brings your website to best search result positions, but also helps in bringing the targeted traffic to your website.
What are search engines?
Search engines refer to the software programmed to help the internet users by searching and listing out relevant database. When the user enters a keyword in the search engine, it gives a list of websites that have keywords in their web pages.
How do Search Engines work?
Search engines have several components, including web spider, indexing, and relevancy algorithm. The function of web spider is, a component of search engine, collecting the list of web page URLs, storing them, and indexing the keywords. The index stores the database, updates when there are changes in websites, and then retrieves the websites when keyword is entered by users.
What are meta tags?
Meta tags are hidden tags in web pages, which can be interpreted by the search engine robots but cannot be seen by website user. These HTML tags contain keyword tag, title tag, description tag, and alt tag. These meta tags are used to describe information of the web page to the search engine robots. This helps the search engine to catalog the websites and focus on the relevant search. Sometimes, some of the words are misspelled by the users. By adding these misspelled keywords in the web page, the website can reach the user. The search engine displays the title tag and short summary of the result web page.
History of Search Engine Optimization
In mid 1990s, search engines began listing the websites which were submitted by the webmasters. The search engines would run the spiders and collects data. These websites were then categorized according to the information in the websites. The webmasters realizing the significance of these search engines started optimizing the websites and the terminology search engine optimization was born.
It was believed that meta tags influenced the position of website and brought focused traffic to the relevant web pages. Some web master started abusing meta tags by adding too many meta tags and writing irrelevant keywords. This illegitimate use of meta tags made the website to rank in search that was not related with their business. In early 2000s, the search engine started following stricter and complex method of ranking the websites. Websites having inappropriate keywords or over use of keywords were pulled down from the ranking.
The Google search engine started the concept of PageRank. The PageRank algorithm was based on the link popularity. The incoming links to a website is interpreted as a vote. Webmasters started exchanging links with other websites. Google found that some of the websites bought and sold links to other websites that were not useful to the internet user visiting their website. This made Google to follow more complex process of PageRank to list the optimized websites.
Google started keeping secret algorithm in ranking the websites. Google updates its index of websites which causes frequent shifts in page ranking and this came to be known as Google dance.
What are the important factors for high ranking websites?
A well optimized website can achieve high rank in search engine by
- Fast Uploading WebSites –
Frequent use of images in a web page will result in greater loading time. Besides, spiders do not like graphic images because it cannot read graphic images. An alternate text called “Alt Tag” must be added on the images.
- Content Rich Websites – Search engines prefers websites text based rich in content. Spider crawling to your website must find valuable and informative text with keywords relevant to the content of the web page. Web crawlers do not like overstuffing of keywords. It checks for keywords density in the web page.
- Easy Navigation – The websites must be user-friendly by adding easy navigation links. A website with good navigation will help the internet user to navigate through web pages easily. The links must not confuse the users. Broken links or dead links must be avoided.
- Updating Regularly – The websites must be updated frequently by adding informative content for the users.
- Link Popularity – As discussed above, link popularity is one of the factors for page ranking. Search engines check for both quantity and quality of links exchanged.
Gaining high rank in a search engine by inappropriate methods is called spamming. Search engines punish a website that tries to trick its algorithm. The websites trying to abuse the rules set by the search engines are punished by ranking them lower or removing them from the index list forever.
- Hidden text or link is the text made on which URL or link is given and made invisible visually by applying same color as background
- Irrelevant content due to words repeated frequently and misleading.
- Cloaked Page
- Doorway pages
- Duplication of complete site or web pages
- Deceptive redirection of the page other pages or sites.
What benefit will SEO bring to your website?
By making use search engine technology, your website can be ranked in top search results of relevant keywords. You will get benefit of targeted customers visiting your website. This will help you building up your company image and get you many business opportunities.
Contact Us on firstname.lastname@example.org